No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

More control over fault tolerance and which error specific bypass to set

By isedwinr @isedwinr
    2022-11-17 06:55:47.703Z

Hello,

Sometimes I don't want the "Message Source" to be stopped on a "Message Source" error but I just want to KNOW that an error has occurred.

For example in the case of a (Google) authentication error such as

"Could not refresh token. Token may have expired. Please re-authenticate."

processing does not continue but the "Message Source" keeps trying again and again, for days, and without receiving an active error message (by email or otherwise)
    I only can see this when I open the "Message Source" or look in the "Message Source log" but I don't want to check every hour or every day if something is wrong because I don't really think that's (Think)Automation ;-)

I have now added an "On Error" to each Automation to avoid having to enable the "Pause Message Source On Automation & Message Reader Errors" setting (at the "Message Source" settings), but that only solves that the automations are not stopped unnecessarily.

More options/settings at the "Pause Message Source On Automation & Message Reader Errors" would be a possibility, but it might be a better idea to add a Pull -down menu at the top of the "On Error" Action with options like for example :

• On [[Message Source Authentication]] Error -->
    • On [[Message Source Local SMTP]] Error -->
    • On [[Message Source Azure Queue]] Error -->
    • On [[Custom Action]] Error -->
    • On [[Database CRUD]] Error -->
    • On [[Outgoing Message]] Error -->
    • On [[Extract Field]] Error -->
      *etc, etc....

regards,

Edwin

Solved in post #5, click to view
    • 4 replies
    1. D
      Daniel Horton @daniel.horton
        2022-11-17 10:10:30.134Z

Hi Edwin,

Thank you for the suggestion for the On Error behaviour but as the problem happens at the Message Source level it would not reach the Automation to be passed into your suggested logic changes.

The functionality of the auto-pause option should be emailing you when this occurs. We presume your Mail Settings are configured? From what you are saying you are not getting these emails?

1. Iisedwinr @isedwinr
            2022-11-18 08:08:02.982Z

Hello Daniel,

1. Sure, that's true, but my idea is to just forward the "message" that there is a (source or other) error to the Automation, or send it first (just like with a "Call Automation") through a bypass error handling "case-of-error xyz" Automation.

2. It's true that the autopause option sends the message IF it pauses, but I don't want to pause on every error. I would like an Automation to continue as usual and to send an error message anyway, or to pause based on a "case-of-error xyz" as mentioned.

regards,

Edwin

1. Iisedwinr @isedwinr
                2022-11-18 08:37:23.030Z

Just saw this: in the pre-release "Improvement: You can now enable the Message Source Auto Pause option separately for message source and automation errors."
                Thanks for that, it's a (good) starting point! ;)

Edwin

1. Iisedwinr @isedwinr
                    2022-11-24 07:29:19.059Z

It's getting better and better in the updated pre-release!
                    *- You can now enable the Message Source Auto Pause option separately for message source and automation errors.
                    You can also enable Send Notification On Message Source Errors separately from the Auto Pause option (previously these options were combined).

Next: World peace! ;)

Edwin

Reply1 LikeSolution